How to draw a golden rectangle
If you want to make a golden rectangle for a painting or a design, this is an easy way of doing it.
- Draw an exact square.
- Find the middle point of the bottom of the square.
- Measure from the middle point to the top corner.
- Extend the bottom line out from the middle point by the same amount and make the square into a rectangle.
- Notice that every time you take a square out of a golden rectangle you are left with a smaller golden rectangle.
If you want to check your golden rectangles, measure the short side and multiply it by 1.618. The resulting number should be the length of the long side.
If you want to find the golden section for a composition, this a way to do it.
- Measure the length of your line.
- Divide the number you found by 1.618.
- Use the answer to measure the distance to the golden section from the end of the line.
- Measure from the other end to find the golden section on the other side.